Malta is hopping on the digital nomad visa bandwagon! Early June 2021, the Malta digital nomad visa was introduced to the world, creating a fantastic opportunity for non-EU digital nomads.
This European island country already estimates it has about a thousand digital nomads already living there, but they’re mostly EU nationals. However, with the Malta digital nomad visa, digital nomads worldwide can live in the country for six months to a year.
Did we also mention it’s only 300€ to apply for this residence permit?
By the end of this article, you’ll know exactly how to apply for Malta’s digital nomad visa and begin another chapter of your digital nomad journey.
What is a Digital Nomad Visa?
A digital nomad visa is for remote workers, business owners, and freelancers who wish to live in a foreign country for longer than a tourist visa allows.
Technically, these visas are more resident permits, allowing digital nomads to live in the country.
To be eligible for a digital nomad visa, you must work for a foreign company (not one in the country where you’re living), own a business, or work as a freelancer with foreign clients.
This is perfect for digital nomads who want to settle down somewhere without worrying about border-hopping or overstaying their tourist visas.
Malta Digital Nomad Visa Requirements
As with any type of visa, there are certain requirements you must meet to be eligible to apply for it. Below, you’ll find all of the necessary conditions for the visa.
- Valid Passport – Your passport must be valid
- Remote Income – You must work as an employee or freelancer or own a business outside of Malta
- 2,700€ per Month – You must make at least 2,700€ per month (gross tax) and have proof of income and bank statements from the last three months
- Proof of Health Insurance – You must have local or international health insurance coverage for the duration of your visa in Malta
- Residential Lease or Sale Agreement – Proof of accommodations during your stay in Malta
- Completed Application – Fill out the application, sign it, and email it to the Residency Malta Agency
- Visa Fee – The fee to apply for Malta’s digital nomad visa is 300€
Steps to Apply
Now that you know the requirements to be eligible for the visa, we’re going to tell you the steps for how to apply. Fortunately, it’s much easier than other digital nomad visas as it takes place right online.
Collect all of your necessary documents and complete the application.
- Copy of your Passport (including blank pages)
- Completed Application
- Letter of Intent stating your reasons for applying
- Bank information and statements from the last three months
- Proof of health insurance
- Health declaration signed by you
- Employment/Freelance contracts or proof of business ownership
- EuroPass CV – resume with your education and work experience, signed by you
- Residential lease or purchase agreement
Upload all of these documents digitally and email them to the Residency Malta Agency.
Keep in mind all applications and documents must be typed. They will not accept handwritten documents.
Wait to receive an answer. On average, it will take about 30 days to process applications and to be notified of a decision.
Malta may not be one of the top digital nomad destinations, but it has plenty to offer.
First of all, it’s absolutely gorgeous! Imagine an old European town settled right on an island in the middle of the Mediterranean? Calm, laidback vibes, stone streets, stunning beaches, and incredible cuisines are exactly what you can find in Malta.
It’s also very affordable to live in Malta. Everyday purchases such as groceries and eating out at restaurants are definitely less expensive than the rest of Western Europe. Plus, you can find great accommodations that are comfortable and well within budget.
The weather also deserves a notable mention as it’s often warm and mild, perfect for exploring the city or relaxing on the beach watching the calm crystal water wash up.
Malta’s WiFi connection is another awesome benefit for digital nomads. While it’s an island, it’s connected to the rest of the world fairly well in technology and travel accessibility. In the last couple of years, coworking spaces have started popping up around the country as well.
Let Us Help You Apply for the Malta Digital Nomad Visa
Even after reading this article, you may still be confused about the process of applying for Estonia’s digital nomad visa. Luckily, you don’t have to do it alone!
Nomads Embassy offers one-on-one assistance to help you file your application and gather all of the necessary documents.
Still, considering whether to start the digital nomad lifestyle?
We’ve got you covered there too! With our interactive platform, innovative step-by-step process, and excellent support, becoming a digital nomad has never been easier.
Join the waiting list and be the first to know how Nomads Embassy can help you live a successful digital nomad lifestyle.
607 total views, 1 views today
When I’m not writing and teaching people how to achieve a location-independent lifestyle, you can find me globetrotting, experiencing new cultures, and working on my amateur photography skills.