Another country joins the digital nomad movement: Cape Verde just introduced its digital nomad visa. Dubbed as the Cape Verde Remote Working Program, digital nomads can receive a temporary visa for a six-month stay with the option to renew.
Who wouldn’t want to spend their winters on one of the ten beautiful islands off the west coast of Africa that make up Cape (also known as Cabo) Verde? With ideal weather, white sandy beaches, fresh seafood, and music – lots of music – digital nomads are finding their new temporary homes on these islands.
The country is very affordable, and the visa fee is only 20€ to apply. (Plus another 34€ to leave the airport.)
By the end of this article, you’ll know everything about Cape Verde’s digital nomad visa, how to apply, and the documents you’ll need.
What is a Digital Nomad Visa?
A digital nomad visa is for remote workers, business owners, and freelancers who wish to live in a foreign country for longer than a tourist visa allows.
Technically, these visas are more resident permits, allowing digital nomads to live in the country.
To be eligible for a digital nomad visa, you must work for a foreign company (not one in the country where you’re living), own a business, or work as a freelancer with foreign clients.
This is perfect for digital nomads who want to settle down somewhere without worrying about border-hopping or overstaying their tourist visas.
Cape Verde Digital Nomad Visa Requirements
As with any type of visa, there are certain requirements you must be in order to apply. Below, you can determine whether or not you’re eligible for the Cape Verde digital nomad visa.
- Valid Passport – Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months
- Remote Income – You must work as a freelance or self-employed individual for clients or a company outside of Cape Verde
- 1,500€ Average Bank Balance – For the last six months, this must be your average bank balance
- Proof of Health Insurance – International health insurance coverage is required for all applicants
- Accommodations – Proof of booking accommodations in Cape Verde
- Criminal Background Check – An official background check originated from your country of residence
- Completed Application – Fill out the application and submit it online through Cape Verde’s portal
- Visa Fee – The visa processing fee is 20€; an additional 34€ must be paid upon entering the country at the airport
- Citizenship – You must be from countries of Europe, North America, Community of Portuguese Speaking Countries (CPLP), or Economic Community of West African States (CEDEAO)
Steps to Apply
Now that you know the requirements to apply for Cape Verde’s digital nomad visa, below are the steps to submit your application and receive the visa. It’s a fairly straightforward process and takes place primarily online.
Complete the application and submit the necessary documents through Cape Verde’s online portal. These documents include:
- Copy of passport bio page
- Passport-sized photos with a white background
- Proof of income or bank statement
- Health insurance policy
Your application will be processed within two weeks. You will receive an email with information about the next steps towards obtaining the visa.
Before you can enter Cape Verde, you’ll have to gather some more documentation to show immigration when you cross the border. These documents include:
- Additional Application Form signed and dated
- Passport-sized photo with a white background
- Copy of passport bio page
- Copy of passport entry stamp
- Proof of income (bank statements from the last 6 months or income receipts from the last 3 months)
- Health certificate
- Criminal background check
- Copy of accommodation booking
- Copy of visa approval letter
- Visa fee of 20€
Once you have entered Cape Verde, you have 30 days to officially obtain your digital nomad visa and extend your stay for up to six months. Send an email to the Remote Working Program to arrange the delivery of your visa. It should take about 5 days.
Why Cape Verde?
Cape Verde is quickly becoming a new digital nomad hotspot rich in culture, stunning views, and great vibes. Nine out of the ten islands that make up the country off the west coast of Africa are inhabited and ready to welcome remote workers.
Digital nomads can rely on an impressive WiFi and mobile network while living and traveling around Cape Verde. You’ll always be connected. Coworking spaces are also popping up all over the country so you can focus and network at the same time.
When you aren’t surfing the web, you can surf the waves, enjoy other water sports, or relax on white sandy beaches. Plus, the warm and sunny weather is exceptionally welcoming, especially to those digital nomads who enjoy being outdoors.
Let’s not forget the food that is offered in Cape Verde! You can count on having some of the best seafood and fish meals in your life while staying in this beautiful country.
The cost of living in Cape Verde is also fairly affordable. On average, the monthly cost of living is around $800, with rent included! Accommodations and meals are economical and offer great value for their price.
One of the best things about Cape Verde is the friendliness of the residents. It’s common to nod or smile to people when passing them on the street, especially in the morning. You’ll feel instantly welcomed to the islands and part of the community in no time.
Let Us Help You Apply to the Cape Verde Digital Nomad Visa
Even after reading this article, you may still be confused about the process of applying for Estonia’s digital nomad visa. Luckily, you don’t have to do it alone!
Nomads Embassy offers one-on-one assistance to help you file your application and gather all of the necessary documents.
Still, considering whether to start the digital nomad lifestyle?
We’ve got you covered there too! With our interactive platform, innovative step-by-step process, and excellent support, becoming a digital nomad has never been easier.
Join the waiting list and be the first to know how Nomads Embassy can help you live a successful digital nomad lifestyle.
349 total views, 1 views today
I created this blog and the community because you’d better be ready when HE comes…
If you’re a freelancer, you’ll always find an answer here.
To your success!