Last Updated on 4 September 2023 by Brittany
There is officially a Czech Republic digital nomad visa available to remote employees and freelancers in IT from eight countries.
Available from July 2023, the Czech Republic is offering a unique opportunity to digital nomads working in the IT field to live in the country for up to three years. The initial visa is valid for one year and allows holders to renew it as a residence permit, which is valid for two years.
Czech Republic digital nomad visa applicants may also include immediate family members in their applications. However, their spouses and dependents may not seek local employment within the country during their stay.
Previously, the Czech Republic offered a freelance visa or zivno visa to freelancers who established a business in the country and served local clients. With the Czech Republic digital nomad visa, it allows more remote workers to relocate to the country.
To apply, you must visit a Czech embassy or consulate in your country of residence in person and submit your documents and application.
Nomads Embassy: The World’s First Embassy for Digital Nomads has partnered with hand-selected local immigration lawyers to assist our readers with their Czech Republic digital nomad visa applications in a streamlined and secure process.
In this article, we will discuss the Czech Republic digital nomad visa requirements and the steps to apply.
What is a Digital Nomad Visa?
A digital nomad visa is a temporary residence permit that allows remote workers to live in a foreign country.
The remote worker must earn a sustainable income as a freelancer, employee, or business owner for or of an entity located outside of the country where they wish to reside.
It’s important to understand that a digital nomad visa does not allow applicants to seek local employment or engage in local economic business activity.
Many digital nomad visas allow family inclusion, which is perfect for couples and families with children who want to experience life abroad.
Some digital nomad visas even lead to permanent residency after a certain period of time – usually after five years.
Czech Republic Digital Nomad Visa Eligibility Requirements
As with any long-term visa, the Czech Republic digital nomad visa has a list of eligibility requirements applicants must meet in order to receive approval.
To be eligible for the Czech Republic digital nomad visa, you must meet the following requirements:
- Valid Passport – You must have a valid passport that is valid for at least three months after your visa expires and have two blank pages
- Citizenship from One of the Following Countries – United States of America, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Japan, Taiwan, and South Korea
- Work Remotely – You must work remotely as an employee of a company with at least 50 employees or a freelancer
- Work in the IT or STEM Field – You must work in the IT or STEM field
- Earn $2,730 per month – You must earn at least 1.5 times the national minimum wage in the Czech Republic according to the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs
- Hold a Degree in IT or STEM – You must have earned a degree in the IT or STEM fields from an accredited university
- 3 Years Industry Experience – If you do not have a degree, you must have at least three years of experience in IT or STEM
- International Health Insurance – You must have a digital nomad international health insurance policy for the duration of your stay
- Clean Criminal Background – You must have a clean criminal record
If you meet the requirements listed above, then you are eligible for the Czech Republic digital nomad visa.
Steps to Apply
The application process for the Czech Republic digital nomad visa is fairly straightforward.
It’s important to note that you may not apply for the visa while already in the Czech Republic. You must visit a Czech embassy or consulate in your country of legal residence.
Step 1: Gather Documents & Make Visa Appointment
The first thing you should do when applying for the Czech Republic digital nomad visa is locate the nearest Czech embassy or consulate and request a visa appointment.
While waiting for your appointment, you must gather the following general documents:
- Copy of Passport
- Passport Photos
- Certified Criminal Background Check
- International Health Insurance Policy
- Proof of Relationship to Dependents (Marriage, Birth, or Adoption certificates)
If you are applying for the Czech Republic digital nomad visa as a remote employee, you must submit the additional documentation:
- Proof of the Established Business Employing You
- Affidavit Stating the Company Employees at least 50 People
- Work Contract Containing the Following Information
- Allowance of Remote Work
- Contract Term
- Proof of Education OR Proof of Industry Experience (3 Years)
If you are applying for the Czech Republic digital nomad visa as a freelancer, you must submit the following documentation:
- Invitation from the Trade Office Department
- Affidavit from a Client with the Following Information:
- Contract Term
- Nature of Work is IT-Related
- Proof of Education OR Proof of Industry Experience (3 Years)
These documents should be submitted in both English and translated into Czech by a certified translator.
You must also submit a Long-Term Visa Application during your visa appointment.
Step 2: Attend Visa Appointment
When you attend your visa appointment at the embassy or consulate, you will submit your documents and application.
They may also hold a brief interview and take your biometric fingerprints.
You will also have to pay a visa and application fee of around $115. Keep the receipt; you may need it in the future.
Step 3: Wait for Approval
It should take about 45 days to receive an answer of the status of your Czech Republic digital nomad visa application.
Step 4: Register Address in the Czech Republic
Once approved, you may enter the Czech Republic and stay for one year.
After entering the country, you have three days to register your place of accommodation with the local Police of the Czech Republic.
You must provide a residential lease, deed, or reservation along with your passport and visa.
Czech Republic for Digital Nomads
If you want to live a European lifestyle enjoying the gorgeous, colorful architecture, soaking in rich history, and experiencing a new culture with an affordable cost of living, then the Czech Republic is for you!
The digital nomad and expat community in the Czech Republic has increased drastically over the last few years, which means you can network and grow your friend group even easier. Prague is also becoming one of the popular digital nomad destinations within Europe. It’s also a great country for English speakers as many Czechs speak English very well.
There are also a ton of coworking spaces popping up all over the country, especially in Prague. The WiFi is also fairly reliable in major cities.
Overall, the Czech Republic is a pretty affordable place to live compared to other European countries like France and Spain. A single person may spend around $1,500 USD per month living in the city center plus additional expenses.
Let’s also not forget that the Czech Republic is centrally located. So, you can easily visit and explore other European countries by plane, bus, or train. Plus, with the visa, you can travel to the Schengen Area countries freely without a tourist visa.
Get Help Applying for the Czech Republic Digital Nomad Visa
Even after reading this article and step-by-step guide, applying for a digital nomad visa can be overwhelming and time-consuming. Luckily, you don’t have to apply for it on your own!
Nomads Embassy can help you apply for the Czech Republic digital nomad visa with our trusted and professional partners.
From submitting your visa application to communicating with consulates to helping you find an apartment in the Czech Republic, our hand-selected immigration lawyers are here to simplify your relocation to the Czech Republic as a digital nomad.
Simply fill out the form above to speak with our immigration lawyers about applying for the Czech Republic digital nomad visa today!